Point of Interest A: 327 St. Paul Ave SE

Antebellum Grant Mansion - Atlanta Preservation Center (APC)

Year: 1856
Style: Italianate
Type: Georgian (missing 2nd level & cupola)
Antebellum Grant Mansion: Atlanta Preservation Center (APC)
Map: 327 St. Paul Ave SE


Lemuel P. Grant, who donated the land for Grant Park, built this family home in 1856 and resided in it until 1881. The three-story home originally featured two-foot-thick walls, 10-foot windows, four porches, nine fireplaces and a ballroom. In 1902, while friends of the Grants,  Clara Thomas and "Colonel" Robert Purmedus Jones were staying in the house, Mrs. Jones gave birth to a son - Robert Tyre “Bobby” Jones, who went on to become the legendary golfer and co-founder of The Masters.
 
The house was spared in 1864 during the burning of Atlanta after Federal soldiers found a Masonic apron in a wardrobe in the master bedroom. General Sherman forbade the burning of buildings with Masonic connections. Gone with the Wind author Margaret Mitchell invested in the preservation of the house and brought a court case fighting for the survival of the house. Beginning in the 1940s, neglect and a fire took their toll. A significant fire in the 1980s destroyed part of the roof, leaving the second floor open to the elements. By 2001, when the APC purchased the house, most of the remaining structure was open to the elements and in severe decay.
 
As part of its mission, APC has been carefully restoring the structure for the past 16 years. Most recently in 2012, the high-style Italianate Victorian front porch was restored, along with the East and West front parlors which now host an exhibit of photographs depicting antebellum Atlanta and a permanent exhibit the history of the L. P. Grant house. The APC continues to raise funds for the restoration and maintenance of the house.