This historic cemetery was established by the City of Atlanta in 1850 to replace the original city burying ground located in the block now occupied by the Capital City Club on Peachtree Street. By 1866, the city had completed the acquisition of the current 88 acre location. Numbered among Oakland’s “silent tenants” are people from all walks of life: slaves, paupers, the middle class, Confederate and Union soldiers and the very wealthy (who built the massive monuments and mausoleums). Famous "residents" include Atlanta's first mayor, Moses Fromwalt, golfer Bobby Jones, author Margaret Mitchell, Governor Joseph E. Brown, Senator Ben Hill, Bishop Wesley J. Gaines and Carrie Steel Logan. Oakland is the largest repository of Victorian art and statuary in the metropolitan area.

The Historic Oakland Foundation conducts guided walking tours on a regularly scheduled basis. For more information see their website at www.oaklandcemetery.com.