Neighborhood History
The mansion was built in 1854 by Colonel L.P. Grant, who was chief engineer for the Department of the Militia and designer of Atlanta’s fortifications in 1863. When General William Tecumseh Sherman’s forces put the torch to Atlanta on November 14, 1864, they left the engineer’s mansion unscathed, despite the fact that it had been used as a Confederate hospital, because paraphernalia used in Masonic rituals had been found inside the house. They had instructions not to harm the homes of Masons. The house later suffered from the ravages of neglect. The remaining structure was recently purchased by the Atlanta Preservation Center for renovation/recreation and use as their headquarters.

The Grant Mansion is located on St. Paul Ave. between Broyles and Grant streets.


The Grant Mansion became the home of the Atlanta Preservation Center in 2001.
Read more: Grant Mansion restoration yields antebellum treasures