A gift to the city of Atlanta in 1883, Grant Park now welcomes over two million visitors each year.

Lemuel P. Grant saw the need for a great city park (1882) and stipulated in his donation of 100 acres that "the land should be used for park purposes for all Atlantans".

The popularity of the park grew with the addition of the zoo (1889) and Cyclorama (1893). John C. Olmsted, of the famous Olmsted landscape design firm, visited Grant Park and was commissioned to provide a design/development plan in 1903.

Today, Grant Park is the oldest surviving city park in Atlanta. It now encompasses 131.5 acres. Although many come to the park to view the painting at the Atlanta Cyclorama or enjoy the exotic animals at the zoo, the park offers a wide range of amenities including picnic facilities, historical structures, athletic fields, children's play areas, botanical diversity, natural areas, quiet walks and more.

This urban green space, just a stone's throw from the bustle of Peachtree Street, is conveniently located near other points of interest such as Historic Oakland Cemetery (est. 1850), the Gold Dome of the Georgia State Capitol, the Olympic Caldron (1996), Atlanta Braves Hall of Fame and Museum, Turner Field, Martin Luther King National Historic Site, the Fulton Cotton Mill, the Grant Park residential neighborhood (Atlanta's largest historic district), Cabbagetown, Glenwood Park, East Atlanta Village, Inman Park and more.